Monday, June 15, 2009

Images of Happiness

Happy Things in Tongliao:


bright orange goldfish in tanks

great novels that keep me up until 2am to finish reading

Coca Cola after eating salty food (which is any food here in China!)

Poofy clouds, thunder and sudden spurts of cold rain, green grass and a cool breeze

Toddlers in pants that slit open in the crouch, and I can see their little fat butts as they waddle down the sidewalk.

hot cocoa out of a machine

never getting tired of eating rice

my dog curled and sleeping on my lap

looking in the back window at my students waiting patiently in their desks, heads turned forward, each sitting on her own cushion, waiting for me to arrive and teach them.

clean sheets smelling of wind

the handmade paper crane mobile that swirls above the desk

sandals with red toenails

laughing at Ned's Ned-isms

early morning Nina walks with a cup of instant coffe cupped in my hands (Instant now tastes like regular to me)

counting the days until... my life falls into a beautiful oblivion

teaching Girl Scout songs to my students, and forcing the boys to sing them too! (only 10% of students are boys)

steamed Baozi with vinegar, chile peppers and salt vegetables for breakfast on my mornings off...yum

cute new brightly colored pens with bears on them,


and best of all,


feeling as if I am living the life I was meant to live.

No comments: