Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Last Class

Today were my last two classes. Class included singing, dancing, candy, music, laughs, some tears, and lots of phots being taken in front of the Foreign Language Building.

I've had a terrific relationship with all 300 of my students. I don't know if I can replicate the kind of open, respectful, loving kind of teacher/student relationship we had together. Today my students expressed that they thought of me as their sister or friend, and weren't nervous or afraid in my class. They told me they've learned a lot about American culture, and about pronunciation skills, and that I have given them lots of chances to speak out in front of the class. Sometimes, as a teacher, I've been unsure if what I'm teaching is actually being absorbed. I've worked very hard to teach them the English skills they need regarding Oral English, and have thrown in my own ideas about giving them assignments that require creative expression. I'm confident to say today that I have been sucessful.

I told my students that they have changed my lives. I told them that I'm sooo glad I came to teach them in Inner Mongolia, and that they have taught me more about teaching, life and culture, then I could ever teach them. I held back my tears, but not everybody did.

Celeste, a freshman girl was literally hyperventilating and crying. After several minutes of hugging her, she still wouldn't let me go. It was a bit overwhelming for me. I didn't really know what to do but smile and tell her it was okay.

Last year, in a big sense, I really didn't know why I chose Inner Mongolia to teach. I wasn't really even set on being a teacher. All I know now is that the benelevolent mystical force in my life brought me to Ned, and brought me here to live and teach in Inner Mongolia. I am happy all of this happened, but sad to leave, although I know it is time to go home and rekindle my relationships there, and serve my Albuquerque community for the time being.


Thank you China for making me a stronger, more appreciative, patient and mature person. I only hope that I can find students as good as these in America....



If not, I'm coming back to China.

No comments: